REGISTRATION TIMES FOR LESSONS
Parkcrest lessons are offered over two sessions:
- Session 1: June 12 – July 7
- Session 2: July 10 – Aug 11 (no lessons July 24 – July 28)
Swim lessons will be offered from 10:45 am – 12:15 pm & 5:30 – 6:30 pm, Monday through Friday. Dive and Water Ballet lessons are scheduled from 10:45am – 12:15 pm and meet on Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday and alternate Fridays. Lessons are 25 minutes long. Each student will receive an exit competency card on the last Thursday of each session. The last Friday of each session of lessons concludes with the always popular “game-day”.
SWIM LESSON PLACEMENT TESTING
Swim Lesson Placement Testing will take place on Saturday, June 3rd from 1-4PM at Parkcrest.
Lesson placement testing is highly recommended for students planning to enter Levels 2 through 6. Children have varying levels of swim exposure during the off-season, and testing will allow instructors to place them according to their current skill level. To avoid waiting in line, your child will be given a number for testing upon checking-in. Relax and enjoy the pool until your number is announced.
SWIM LESSON DESCRIPTION
WATER BUGS: Focus is on water adjustment, safety and enjoyment. At least one adult must accompany child in water. Water bugs is designed for swimmers 3 months to 3 years of age.
STARFISH: (Red Cross level 1)- Exit skills required to advance: Move 5 yards and bob 5 times to chin level. Float on front for 3 seconds. Roll to back and float for 3 seconds.
OCTOPUS: (Red Cross level 2)- Exit skills required to advance: Front float 5 secs. Roll to back and float for 5 secs. Swim with combination arm & leg actions for 15 feet on front and on back. Jump into chest deep water independently.
OTTER: (Red cross Level 3)- Exit skills required to advance: Jump into chest deep water and swim front and back crawl 15 yards with rhythmic breathing and face in water. Maintain position by treading water or floating for 30 seconds.
RAY: (Red Cross Level 4)- Exit skills required to advance: Swim front and back crawl 25 yards. Maintain position on back for 60 secs in deep water. Swim elementary backstroke & breaststroke 15 yards. Tread water and float on back for 2 minutes each. Swim elementary back and breaststroke for 25 yards each.
PORPOISE: (Red cross level 5)- Exit skills required to advance: Swim 500 yards continuously in following order: front crawl (100 yards), back crawl (100 yards), elementary backstroke (50 yards), sidestroke (50 yards), butterfly (50 yards); and choice (100 yards).
STROKE REFINEMENT: Must successfully complete PORPOISE to enroll.
DIVE LESSON PREREQUISITES
** Must pass Octopus (level 3) swim level to enroll in any dive lessons.
- Level 1: No dive experience
- Level 2: Should know front approach, back approach, front dive, back dive, back dive 1/2 twist
- Level 3: Know at least 5 dives or be on dive team
DIVE LESSON DESCRIPTIONS
- Level 1 (Beginner): Learn approach. Complete front dive off wall and board. Introduce back dive & back half twist.
- Level 2 (Intermediate): Master back dive, front half twist, inward and front flip.
- Level 3 (Advanced): Must be on Dive team and working on 5 min. dives to enroll.
FITNESS CLASS DESCRIPTION
- Must successfully complete swim level PORPOISE to enroll
- Participants engage in a variety of physical activities including jogging, basketball, wall ball, capture the flag, soccer and more.